Thursday, January 01, 2015

My investment rules

I thought of penning down my rules for making a stock investment. Over the past year or two this has been revised and here's what it stands as currently:

1.       I am an investor and not a speculator. I am not as brave as the other people who are trying to get rich overnight.. I like to have a BIG margin of safety (bigger the better).. if I don’t think I am getting a $1 bill for 50-60 cent. I am happy to wait.
2.       I am a patient man. As long as fundamentals are good; I have no issues in holding the stock I invested in (as long as I have a dividend yield of 2.5% or higher and hopefully growing YoY).
3.       I like the Rip Van Winkle theory. If I can’t visualize that the company stays in 10 – 20 years.. I would be wary of buying the stock.
4.       I respect market cycles. I can’t and don’t predict the future. I just prepare for it.
5.       I am crazy about capital preservation. First of all – I am worried about return of my money than return on my money.
6.       I like my companies to grow at a decent pace – 10% YoY (sales growth) operating at a decent margin (varies by industry), with a ROE 20%+ employing either no debt or very low debt.
7.       I like monopolies that exist in very favorable circumstances. As long as the government does not try to lick into the honey-pot. Or – in private industries as long as the management stays honest.
8.       I want to concentrate on setting individual targets for the stocks I hold. I like absolute numbers. My favorite growth number is 26%. I have no interest in what the sensex or the index as a whole is doing. And I don’t really care as well.
9.       I like to get dividends. My thumb rule is 2.5% to start off when I invest and a nice 10% YoY dividend growth.
10.   I like to hold 10% of my wealth in cash. I am not clever enough to find a place to park all my cash. I never know when I will need it.
11.   I like to read. I want to read all the annual reports of my stocks. I may not understand everything that gets written in the reports (I am not a mind reader); but I like annual reports that don’t excessively use magic words..  Vision, mission, culture, commitment, system, integration, globalization (these are just a few.. you know what I mean, don’t you?).
12.   I like 26% for a reason. It’s a neat number – you double your money every 3 years and you grow 10 times every 10 years. A million grows into a billion in 30 years..
13.   I usually don’t like to sell my stocks. If they continue to grow 10% YoY and have 20%+ ROE and has a sensible management in place.
14.   I like sensible management. I don’t like it if the management salaries are excessive. Especially if they grow over 5% of profit the company makes. I also don’t like heroes – I like honest, simple and motivated people to run my company.
15.   My company. Yes, I like to call all companies where I hold stocks as ‘my’ company. I like to see myself as a part owner of the company. I am terribly angry if someone dilutes me.. I like companies that don’t dilute me.. better still if they reduce outstanding share count.
16.   I like to look at a long history.. usually 10 years. I like companies which know what they are selling. And stick to it. Not go after growth for the sake of it. I get mad if good money is spent after bad. Decent retained earnings are key.

17.   Finally, if my companies have more money than they need – I am happy to have more dividends coming in.

Ciao till next time...Harsha

No comments: