Monday, May 15, 2006

Invictus - My favourite poem...

William Ernest Henley, one of the best critics/writers of modern day poetry and prose....excellent poems, better still are his series of critical essays....wonderful timing, with the right kind of pun intended.

Some of his best known works are (according to me- his short crtical and caustic series of essays-'Views and Reviews' and offcourse my favourite poem- 'Invictus')....

In tis world of furious pace and time is money type-of-attitude, its sad that we are losing some of the best moments of our life sittin in cramped rooms (called in plain words 'cubicle', in a s/w firm)...coding....brooding.....cursing....and whining.

Its worth every second reading works of this awesome man....more so in the times we live.... His works reflect the changing lifestyle in the upheavel days of late 1890's, when England was more like India we know today... in midst of a mind set make over..

Here's his poem- 'Invictus', for those who haven't come across yet:

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul!


Wow....wat a poem...me ready to hit the bed!
Ciao till next time...Harsha

No comments: