Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Muthukrishnan - A prof remembered

Somethings make you feel you should have attended classes properly! Especially if the prof happens to be the best guy for the subject in the country. Muthukrishnan- the best prof for Operations.. ever volatile.. spirited.. ethusiastic.. humane.. but now will remain only in our memories. He died of a massive heart attack recently.

One of the regrets I would harbor from NITIE days is missing out on attending lectures and interacting more with Muthu sir. I remember the time when he asked if I ever attended his classes in module 1. Another incident which I would remember is about the time when I asked him if I could skip his lectures for the week- I was going to some B School debate/case study competition (I do not remember which one, though I vividly remember Muthu sir's reaction- 'Kya IT job karna hai kya?').

You see for Muthu- there are only 2 jobs where worthless people can end up- IT or Banks :-) His impression about me considerably improved towards the second year after he came to know that I was a guy who did not get through 13 interviews in summers after clearing all GD's. I even ventured to borrow couple of books (one of which I never returned- never read as well... I need to read it someday).

One of the things that hits you is- How would people remember you after you are dead? Most people would not even be worth remembering (aam junta... usual feeling is chalo.. 1 person less in the world).

With couple of recent deaths in family- I have come to the realization that wantingly / unwantingly people in their old age become "don't cares" or "its only a matter of time" types. Also, old age is like time bomb. You know its going to end.. you know you cannot live on.. everytime you fall ill- you feel its time (only to get a small reprieve).. the wait is tantalizingly painful.. god save people from old age!

Yeah, probably that is the reason they say that good people die young. Its better to leave with a feeling that the promise was yet to be complete than leave with a feeling of living beyond expiry date!

This is precisely why one feels so much for Muthu- lots of unanswered questions like 'who can fill his shoes', 'can there be a more commanding guy with Ops?', 'will the companies have the same awe when it comes to Ops recruitments.. now that the pillar is gone'.. these and many more! The condolences seen for Muthu is also worth mentioning- right from old students (dating back two decades) to all the present lot, colleagues, industry friends, everyone has a small tale/story to share about their association with the great man. They say legacy lives on..

A small thought does pass by- 'will we be remembered at all when we are gone?"
Only time will tell.

Ciao till next time...Harsha

1 comment:

mucastic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.